DIY Painting Upholstery Failure!!! First of all, I have been a bit skeptical of this painting upholstery idea. But I couldn’t resist trying. After all, I paint everything! I started with a $5 chair I got a garage sale..Basically something I wouldn’t miss if this turned out to be a disaster.
Old Garage sale chair with rose velvet fabric
1 Quart of latex Pink paint
1 Spray bottle full of water, ready for refills
Sand paper in super fine grit
I did not use the acrylic craft paint which is suggested
My side kick Vera the cat
Here is what we did.
1. We made sure our chair was clean and free of dirt (and Vera hair).
Vera seriously doubting this “painting the chair” idea.
2. Removed all seat cushions that were not attached from the chair.
3. Mixed 1:1 parts of latex paint and fabric medium.
4. We watered the paint/ textile medium mixture down. Mixed in about 1/2 the amount of water as paint.
5. We did our base coat. And I am still pretty pumped that this is going to be amazing!
6. I continued to spritz the chair with water and worked the paint into the velvet.
7. I did two light coats, waited for them to dry and lightly sanded.
8. Final Coat!! I finished off the chair with one last coat and let it dry.
Final Product.. Well I would NOT say I knocked this DIY out of the park. In fact, I would say this is a Do it Yuck!! Because this chair is CRUNCHY! Too bad because it looks pretty good.
Not sure what I did wrong… Maybe used a bit too much latex and not enough water.
All in all.. I would have to say that this is a FAIL!
Oh Well.. We had fun! And it sure looks better than it did!